Skip to main content

Halloweend Edition 2014 Pt. I

It’s that time again, Halloween edition 2014. I’ve been a busy bee lately. This year I had a head start on Halloween costumes. I was contacted by last year’s mom to make her daughter’s costume again. This is awesome because she loved last year’s costumes and her daughter received many compliments. It always makes me happy to know people out there appreciate my work. So this year I made not one but two costumes for her daughter.
 

Costume number one is based on Maleficent, Princess Aurora! She wanted the “gold” dress the one where she gets crowned in. Here is a picture I found online to give me an idea. From studying the design it seems as though the silhouette is from the 1900’s. The bodice consist of a semi square neckline, princess seams, and decorative trim around the neckline, waist and sleeve. The skirt has two pleats and the dress is not too full.


Taking what I analyzed from the original design I tried to interpret my way by adding my own twist. So I just kept it simple with the bodice I made simple darts instead of princess seams, decided I wanted the neckline to be squared instead of in-between figure it would make the design pop out. I kept the sleeves long and the skirt less full with the two pleats in the front. I figure her daughter would be running around or walking around trick-or-treating and wouldn’t want to deal with a full skirt. 
 
The fabric was a gold jacquard; I thought it would be perfect because of the floral print. The fabric was very soft considering she tried on the store bought costume and her main issue was the fabric was too itchy.  The trims were fun to pick out, found this perfect gold trim that matched the fabric but not too matchy matchy that you lose the trim from the busy floral print. It really stands out against the print. The last elements were the covered buttons; this made the design very elegant and delicate.

 
So here is the final product, Princess Aurora gold dress! I really loved the way it came together, although the fabric was a pain to work with it has the tendency of unraveling. In a way it was a good thing because I kept pushing myself to sew it faster before I was left with nothing.

Close up of the front
 
 

Close up of the back
 

Complete front view
 

Complete back view

This is how it looks hanging. 

I will be posting pictures of her wearing the costumes as soon as I get them so be on the look out for that.
Stay tune for part two of my Halloween edition. I’ll give you a hint, she is also a Disney princess and she is an ice princess…any guesses comment below?

Want to read previous Halloween edition? Click on links below.
Halloween Edition 2013 part one and part two
Halloween Edition 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart Cut Out Dress

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I popped up on here! I've been crazy busy being a momma, wife, and a Etsy shop owner. It has been quite an interesting journey, very different from custom designing. I've learn so much these past months and I am continuing to learn. Hats off to you if you are a Boss Mom it takes a lot to run a home and a business!


I'll be sharing with you all some of my Etsy designs with you all incase you don't follow my social media or Etsy shop. Since we are still in the month of February I'll be sharing my Valentine's day dresses. I made two designs for my shop the first design is the Heart Cut Out dress.


For this design I wanted a fun focal point, I decided a heart cut out on the back would be cute. I started drafting and making a muslin sample I had to tweak it a couple of times because getting the heart shape wasn't as easy as I had thought. After three attempts I finally got the heart shape that I was aiming for. The fin…

Belle Inspired Dress

Ever since they announced the new Beauty and the Beast movie, I was excited to go see it since this is a classic Disney movie that I grew up watching. I really wanted to take my daughter and share a little piece of my childhood. She had already seen the cartoon version, so she was very familiar with Belle. She is a huge fan of the Disney princess, she can literally name them all. I thought it be cute if she wore an inspired Belle dress to go see the movie. I thought long and hard how I wanted to design the dress, because I didn't want it to be too overly done. My initial thought was lace but I really wanted her to be comfy while watching the movie. That week was pretty hectic to go fabric shopping, luckily I remembered I had a soft knit fabric in my stash!!

I wanted a modern take on the Belles dress, still keeping the classic yellow, and off the shoulders look. I quickly drafted the pattern pieces, which included an off the shoulder front and back. Before cutting the off the shou…

Pleated Floral Dress

This past Easter I wanted to make my daughter her Easter dress. I knew exactly how I wanted the dress to be basic bodice and box pleat skirt. I don't normally buy pdf patterns but I was short on time and the design was already available. I decided to purchase from Mingo & Grace the pdf pattern is called Blake. It is an amazing pattern it features basic bodice, racer back, box pleats on the skirt, and hidden pockets.
Beautiful close up detail of the dress.
I used a heavy twill cotton fabric which added shape and volume to the box pleats on the skirt. I omitted the hidden pockets because my daughter doesn't know about pockets yet. The bodice is fully lined and I used an invisible zipper. If you haven't noticed by now but I'm obsessed with invisible zippers they add a hint of elegance to the garment. The hem calls for 2" inches but I thought that was too much so I decided to do 1" inch hem. To keep the conceal theme going I decided to do a blind hem. Since …