It's prom season!! Which means I worked on a prom dress. Truth be told I was a bit nervous about taking on this dress, considering my last custom design was 2 years ago! Not to forget, I now have a little toddler who requires all my attention. The thing about prom dresses or any custom design is they require more work, attention to detail, and you just never know what else gets thrown your way. With lot's of excitement I decided to take it on.
I met with my client, asked her a few questions prior to the meeting and based on her answers I sketched several options. Two of the main features included a keyhole on the back and for it to be a deep red fabric.
She decided to go with the sketch above, which was a mermaid silhouette, sweetheart neckline, lace overlay as a halter top, and a keyhole on the back. We talked about different fabric options, she decided to go with a beautiful red gupiere lace and red peachskin. She was excited to see the dress come to life!
I took down her measurements and got started on her mock up dress.
The mock up version was made from muslin, and a cheaper lace.
I decided to incorporate lace on the mock up, to give her a visual of what it would look like. At this point it is important to look for fit and any design flaws.
Her fitting went really well, with minor adjustments. However, one of the main issues we encountered was the type of bra it would be worn. I had initially offered to add cups but, the thing about cups you only get about 70% support. After having a hard time finding a suitable bra, I brought up the back to accommodate for a regular strapless bra.
After some design modifications were made, it was onto cutting the real fabric. I had to be very careful when cutting out the lace to make sure it was mirrored both front and back. The halter neck was a turtle neck which followed the lace scallops. The armholes were finished off with a binding from the red peach Skin fabric.
I thought it added a romantic touch to the dress if I followed the lace design to create the keyhole design. As a final touch I added two diamond button for closure since she wouldn't be wearing a necklace it would be an accessory in itself.
The rest of the dress was a sweetheart neckline with a mermaid silhouette. As always I used an invisible zipper and added a hook and eye for better zipping. The skirt was finished off with a tiny hem. Here is the complete look! She absolutely loved it and couldn't wait for her big day!!
Her big day finally came and she looked stunning! She shared with me a picture I was so honored to have been part of her big day!!!
Hope you all liked my latest custom design!